Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Michael Penn's No Myth 1989


It seems unfair to label Michael Penn a one-hit wonder, given how respected and admired he remains among songwriters and music industry insiders. But the fact remains that only one of Penn's songs ever made it far up the ranks of the Billboard 100: The 1989 single "No Myth," which reached 13 in early 1990.

The song was something of an oddity on the Top 40 airwaves, thanks to the proliferation of funky drums and bass, hair metal and melodramatic balladry that was the late '80s and early '90s (think Technotronic, Skid Row and Michael Bolton). In an age of overproduction, "No Myth" was a refreshing alternative. Penn might've made a killing off of his earnest falsetto and thoughtful lyricism, but he found a complete lack of support from his record company, RCA, after the man who had signed him left the label. Although Michael's sophomore effort Free-for-All was a critical triumph, it recieved little to no promotion from RCA.


Penn once explained, "I was not wanted there. I asked to be let out of my contract but was informed that I would not be allowed to go elsewhere. I started to work on a third record for them but the powers that be were not interested. So I was trapped for the next 3 years. My situation was hardly unique. It became clear to me that the major label system was no place for someone like me. I wanted out."

Penn left the label for greener pastures. He has released a number of well-recieved albums and has also penned scores for a number of films, including Boogie Nights and Sunshine Cleaning. In 1997, he married fellow singer-songwriter Aimee Mann, with whom he often collaborates.

No comments:

Post a Comment